Monday, October 26, 2009

Wilton I Cake Decorating Class

Class One

For years, I've wanted to take a cake decorating class...well, I finally signed up for one.

After Class 1, during which we spent 2 hrs watching the instructor make buttercream icing, then torte and frost a cake (our assignment for Class 2), I was afraid of being the worst student since I've never frosted a cake or picked up a pastry bag. So I decided to make a practice cake...not too bad for a first attempt.






















Class Two

The second class was hands-on. In preparation for class, we had to bake a cake, torte it, and frost it with homemade buttercream icing. During class, we practiced our decorating skills by making a rainbow on our cakes...and then I came home and practiced some more by adding borders and more details to the cake.




































And with the leftover frosting...I decorated some plain cupcakes I had in the freezer. This is fun. When can I sign up for the next class? :)























Class Three

The third class didn't require any baking - thank goodness - just making loads of icing with which to practice our rose-making skills. It wasn't as hard as I expected...that said, I discovered that making buttercream roses is not one of my greatest strengths.
















Class Four

For the fourth class, we again had to bake, torte, and frost a cake that we would decorate in class as our "final project." The requirements were that we had a bouquet of roses and something written on the cake. I finally managed to get 7 half-decent roses but couldn't think of anything to write...!